I make a lot of soup in the winter. They're healthy, (most of the time) easily doubled, and freeze well. When I make soup, I will usually double it and freeze half; then I have a quick meal in the event that we are having unexpected company or am not able to make dinner some night.
I thought I'd share one of my family's favorites.
CHICKEN BROCCOLI SOUP
8 C. vegetable or chicken broth
4 carrots, sliced
minced garlic
Simmer for 10 minutes or so, then add:
3 C. chopped frozen broccoli
3 C. cooked, cubed chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
Continue to simmer until veggies are tender, then mix in:
1 pkg. cream cheese
1 can evaporated milk
2 T. cornstarch mixed in a little water
Stir and simmer until the cheese is melted in.
We usually top with cheddar cheese since we are cheese lovers. Sometimes I use fresh broccoli if I have some; and if you want to cut down on the richness and cut some calories you can leave out the evaporated milk.

sounds yummy...nothing like a good soup in winter!
ReplyDeleteThis made a perfect, impromptu meal at our house this weekend...I've copied the recipe to make again. Thanks, again, Laura for the delicious dinner!
ReplyDelete